Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Making new tools for the wood lathe part 1

I never seem to have the right tool for the job at hand and most are easy to make if you have a few tools.
I use a power hacksaw and or a dedicated Beaver table saw to cut/grind out a pattern then refine that on the bench with a power grinder.
The pieces are made from "01" tool steel and tempered after the refining process to keep a decent edge for turning
I will try to add pictures as I progress with these tools to show you all the steps.
The metal is prepacked in 3 foot lengths and usually gives me enough material for up to 4 tools with tangs.
I have been buying it at a franchise store called "Metal Supermarket":http://www.metalsupermarkets.com/s.

You can search the web for one nearest you if you get the bug.

lathe-tool-fab1

Here is a picture of the cut off disk I prefer and a tang that was cut with on of them with my cut off saw.
Ask for these by name at a welding shop or similar. They are tougher and last longer than other brands I have used.

zipcut3

*Dont use them in your tablesaw for fear of igniting the wood dust*.
I have a separate old saw I use just for this cutting and slicing
cutoff-saw
I recently aquired this little metal bandsaw which has really been a good investment for me.
I seem to use it more and more now that it's so handy. Bolts, bars, slots and all kinds of things that just come up around the house and shop and have no easy solutions.
m-bandsaw

Cost me about the same as a couple of batteries for my electric drill. (smile)
It has a small attachment that allows me to use it vertically for cutting stock like a conventional bandsaw.
p.s. that way I could have avoided the nicks at the ends of the cut on the tangs shown here.

3 comments:

Shantel said...

Good point. Also, do not let the kitchen knives soak at the bottom of a sink that is full of water as it can damage the surface texture.

-online tool shop australia

Jade Turner said...

It's good to know that you have a complete set of wood working tools. It is important to keep these tools properly stored to ensure their longevity and usefulness.

unbrako

Unknown said...

Yeah its nice work!!!!!!!!!
Used CNC Router Machines